Monday, August 13, 2007

What are "keyboard progressions"?

The question came up about keyboard progressions -- are they different from chord progressions.

The answer is no -- they are the same. Just different words for the same reality. I guess you could also call them piano progressions too, unless you play them on the guitar, in which case you could call them guitar progressions.

Progressions are simply units of a song or piece that move between chords. For example, if a song in the key of F has a chord progression that moves from F to Am to Dm to Gm7 to C7 to F, we might term it the "I -- iii -- vi -- iim7 -- V7 -- F" progression.

For a complete treatment of chord progressions, see "Chord Progressions"
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

If you aren't already a subscriber then please subscribe to our FREE e-mail newsletter on:
Piano Chords & Chord Progressions!